Saturday, March 28, 2015

I'm a FRQ

In an earlier post about my SPIN1038 work experience I remarked on how I met Andy Clarke. Just to re-cap, Andy is the station manager of FRQ.fm (pronounced 'FREAK'). The online-only station is used as a training ground for budding radio presenters. These presenters may go on to present on one of the Communicorp stations.


I had given Andy my demo and kept in touch with him after completing my work placement in the station. He invited me in to see what happens at the station and to train me in how to use the studio equipment. So last night, I took the DART into the Grand Canal Dock and met Andy at six. I was put into studio with Cally-Ann, who was presenting the evening show. Andy told me that one of the guys who usually presents on Friday evenings was sick, and in a true clichéd radio situation, he told me that I would be presenting the 7 to 9 slot. Wow! - It was a crazy moment, I realised that I would be on air in around 40 minutes. I had never used the equipment in the studio before and I knew little about the station but its name and purpose. Willingly, Andy trusted me to go live at 7!

The FRQ studio
Over the two hours following I staggered through the show. Although the first hour was a bit challenging, I got into the swing of things and was fairly comfortable by the end of the show. There were a couple of technical challenges, but I just about kept the show on the road.

It was an incredible experience which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm on air again tomorrow between 1pm and 4pm. Listen Live: http://frq.fm/

No comments:

Post a Comment